Comments

• From Finn on Simon Marshall and Dan Palmer on evolving one's permaculture design practice (e37)

What a cliffhanger, Dan! You were just getting going! Looking forward to what emerges in Part 2 🙂

2020/05/02 at 5:07 am
    • From Dan Palmer on Simon Marshall and Dan Palmer on evolving one's permaculture design practice (e37)

Well, Finn, if you’d waited a week before listening you could have skipped straight to the rest of the conversation :-). It was just too good not let the suspense hang in the air a while :-). I am also experimenting and want to hear from folk about what podcast length works well in general. In this case because the real conversation only starts 30m in, I thought it might be best to have that as the very beginning of the next episode rather than a continuation of this one. But I want to hear about your experience listeners and I tell you I will take note!

2020/05/02 at 9:53 am
      • From Jon on Simon Marshall and Dan Palmer on evolving one's permaculture design practice (e37)

But Dan – that would be another week to hear the first episode, which would be a cliffhanger of anticipation of another sort.

Personally I’m happy with whatever length, since I can pause podcasts whenever I want. But there is a certain minimum length for the conversation to develop.

Excellent first part. Looking forward to the rest. Simon is a great interviewee and his story was honest and very relatable to.

2020/05/02 at 1:57 pm
  • From Finn on Jason Gerhardt returns for a third episode (E35)

Thanks for offering this gentle, easy-listening episode which helped me reflect on my own situation within the pandemic. It made me more aware and appreciative of some of the life choices I’ve made which, although they weren’t made with mitigating the effects of a pandemic in mind, have made me much more prepared to take a situation like this on the chin. I compare my own choices to those of people I grew up with and see how I’ve come to arrive in a completely different place, through a combination of chance/fortune and conscious design, to be pretty much where I’d want to be in a situation like the one we’re in. So I’m appreciating my innate design capacity, and appreciating how maybe I’ve been ‘winging it’ a good deal less than I previously gave myself credit for. I’m also appreciating the village I live in, with all its flaws, a good deal more after listening to this episode. Thanks for stimulating all these thoughts!

2020/05/02 at 5:42 am
  • From Manuel Higgs Morgado on Can we use Inner-Permaculture to help us face a collapsing world? - Dan Palmer interviewed by Dean Spillane-Walker

Great to get to know you better and better, Dan. Amazing interview. Sometimes it is better not to be ready : ) as you are so well aware, even if you pretend otherwise with your courteous apology at the beginning. We were lucky you were caught off guard, or may I see in liquid state? His speed was of the essence! Your interviews are always so fast-paced, but his quietness really steadied you and allowed you to have space to go in-depth, into yourself. I am very fast-paced like you are, and I have incredible friends to remind me of the benefits of slowness.

Off to the Bill Reed interview now. Seems promising : ),
    Manuel

2020/05/04 at 9:14 am
  • From Goshen Watts on Simon Marshall and Dan Palmer on evolving one's permaculture design practice (e37)

Great; thanks for Part 1; and thanks to Simon for sharing some of the common things permaculture designers run into; resonates with me. Def some good questions in there about the practicalities of design… look forward to hearing some discussion on them (hopefully).

2020/05/04 at 10:39 am

Thanks Goshen and so you know there is a lot of practical discussion coming up about this stuff in upcoming episodes with Scott Gallant and Javan Bernakovitch both of whom are unrelenting at asking questions getting me to spit out the practical details about transitioning from a more conventional expert designer model to a more mentorship-based approach…

2020/05/04 at 10:56 am
  • From Sarah-May on Continuing the conversation with Simon Marshall (e38)

What a brilliant episode! Thanks Dan and Simon for sharing your conversation.

I thought I’ll give it a go sharing some thoughts here that I’ve been sitting with since listening.

Two words jumped out at me in the prior episode when Simon first tells his story, i.e. cooperative and collective. In the step when a statement of purpose is worked on, it felt a bit like those notions weren’t carried forward as strongly as they had emerged initially. I’ve been reflecting on why it felt that way to me.

Simon’s wish/goal to contribute to ‘healing the broader landscape’ seemed to me to resonate with ideas of creating a larger connected network of people and place, going beyond landscapes only. A collective healthy whole. Dan added a beautiful phrase later on “synergistically living in community”. The next steps in the conversation then dug into function/being/will. I felt a bit like this distanced Dan and Simon a little from fully exploring what sits behind the bigger vision. Simon started oscillating between contemplating his big vision and recognizing the need to cover basics (livelihood, financial security, maller projects). I could very much relate to that! ☺

I wondered if both ends of that pendulum could be satisfied by trying out some of Carol Sanford’s ideas around purpose versus role (also discussed in this episode) and enabling individuals to know and develop their own potential in order to contribute uniquely to a larger system they are part of.

I thought of Carol’s ideas around performance and growth plans for individual employees. She suggests that individuals need to be connected to the end-users, and see directly how their contributions impact and create value at the other end of the pipeline in order to be motivated to develop and grow capacities that contribute meaningfully. One’s purpose then becomes the role that is carried out to contribute to this strategy that, at the end, returns visible benefits.

I wondered if Simon’s desire to contribute to healing broader landscapes would be met through fully immersing into his hands-on, practical and down-to-earth approach in a local small scale context IF, at the same time, he felt connected to a larger ‘permaculture strategy’ that he was contributing to and seeing the benefits of?

Some ideas also in response to Dan’s final reflections on the approach taken for this format of shared future visioning (not sure what to call it).

I was anticipating Dan to ask a question around Carol’s idea of essence/uniqueness early on in the episode but it didn’t come until about 33mins when Dan offers Simon a question around the positive ripples of influence he would like to put into the world, and what he feels uniquely drawn to contribute to the world.

I’d be curious to see what might happen if the essence question was frontloaded before going into the more segregated dimensions of a purpose statement (function/being/will)? Would those three dimensions shape up differently?

And, I agree, no need to remind himself to be humble, I’d say Simon’s already wonderfully so ☺

2020/05/09 at 4:56 pm
    • From Dan Palmer on Continuing the conversation with Simon Marshall (e38)

Sarah-May thanks for these reflections and I’m honoured you listened so closely and felt to share what came up for you. I’m in resonance re how the statement of purpose and function-being-will thing (as powerful and useful as it is – I use it daily!) can, as it was here, have a sense of slicing up or fragmenting the whole and even distracting the flow from places something like working directly with the seven first principles (or even just being with the moment-by-moment energy of the conversation and going with that more). I think your question is going to become strikingly relevant in my next chat with Simon next chat btw (not to mention how the early sense of cooperative or collective landed strongly for you) :-). Yep re role, uniqueness and potential etc – though one thing I’ve been sitting with is how the aim of the conversation which was around giving someone and their situation (incl. a little ‘sneaking up on their future’) some focused attention can feed into their own ongoing reflection and evolution regardless of the precise details of the chat. I say this having had a quick phone chat with Simon last week, where what has unfolded for him since turns out to be a little uncanny given what rose to the top out of our conversation. How’s that for a little suspense building before we hear from up again!

2020/05/11 at 9:02 am
  • From Sarah-May on Weekly Report with Anna Lena: Dan's practical adventures with Living Design Process (e39)

A wonderful dialogue beaming with positivity and awareness. It very much felt like you were in resonance with each other. Anna’s questions were really insightful and always pinpointing and responding to what had just been shared. This is a great example of how a regular peer check-in system can work. Inspiring! I hope you will post more of these.

2020/05/10 at 2:51 pm
  • From Siddiq Khan on Weekly Report with Anna Lena: Dan's practical adventures with Living Design Process (e39)

Lovely initiative. Would be great to hear how Anna and the other voices you are in dialogue with are working through their week as well — are you only including your report because they prefer to keep their part of the conversation private?

2020/05/10 at 11:47 pm
    • From Dan Palmer on Weekly Report with Anna Lena: Dan's practical adventures with Living Design Process (e39)

Thanks Sarah and Siddiq. First up you can listen to the whole conversation here. FYI there is no reason I can’t share the other’s sharings. I can appreciate how anyone might be curious to hear (I mean I would be if I hadn’t already heard it live :-)), and I’m sitting with to what extent it would be in service of MPS’s purpose which is to inspire creative exploration and dialogue around permaculture design process, in a way that develops our ability to think and act creatively as a community, to enable permaculture practitioners to effect the large scale systemic change we need. One possibility I’m sitting with is that I share (and link to) the whole conversation over at www.desigingforlife.org, given it is right on track with that project’s purpose (which is around collaboratively exploring and developing processes that bring us back to life), and maybe keeping it more focused for MPS, lest that drifts off-purpose over time (and I start sharing people’s reflections regardless of a direct permaculture connection or not and some of the audience used to that direct connection leaves). Anyways, other’s thoughts about this are very welcome, it’s all an experiment, and I will see how it’s feeling after our next catch up and maybe even take it conversation by conversation as to whether it feels on-purpose to share the whole or simply my part of these delightful engagements.

2020/05/11 at 9:22 am
  • From Delvin on Holistic Decision Making (e40)

Inspiring and poignant illustration of this powerful design process. Brilliant addition to my life toolkit. Looking forward to learning more.

2020/05/18 at 1:50 am
  • From Abraham on Holistic Decision Making (e40)

Hi Dan,

Very happy after listening your podcast, make me focus in my priorities, the purpose in my life and what matters to me, My health, My family in New Zealand and my family in Bolivia.

Thanks

2020/05/21 at 11:43 am
  • From Byron on Holistic Decision Making (e40)

Future resource base: Strong teeth – Another amazing podcast Dan! Thanks for including the diagram of your family context. A lot of this feels like common sense, and yet doesn’t seem to be common in practice. It’s definitely changing my framework for thinking about decisions the more I think about it. Excited for more episodes on holistic decision making – hopefully they air once I’ve taken the time to write out some of my own context!

2020/05/21 at 5:42 pm
    • From Dan Palmer on Holistic Decision Making (e40)

Thanks Byron. I will likely share a few webinar presentations on the topic soon and happy context-articulating in the meantime!

2020/06/05 at 8:38 pm
  • From J. on Holistic Decision Making (e40)

It saddens me that the claims of Alan Savory have resonated so deeply with the permaculture community. While there are some instances of holistic management working well, it is the position of the environmental science community that the benefits of removing livestock are going to outweigh keeping them on the land for regenerative purposes.. especially when it comes to saving land for vulnerable species that rely on niche habitats. We don’t need any more people ‘returning to the land’ to farm animals. Existing animal farmers should be supported to make their land more friendly and supportive of local ecologies and everyone else should eat as many veggies as possible. Land saving with the use of nature corridors still prevails over land sharing models and we would do well to keep this in mind.

2020/05/23 at 3:35 pm
    • From Dan Palmer on Holistic Decision Making (e40)

Thanks Jess. For the record the subject of this ep was holistic decision making which is nothing to do with livestock – holistic decision making is used regularly by vegans and all kinds of folk outside any kind of farming context :-). I appreciate that the name Allan Savory does set some people off though!

2020/06/05 at 8:42 pm
  • From Sarah-May on In dialogue with permaculture designer Scott Gallant on the practical and professional realities of a more living design process - Part One of Two (e41)

Hi Dan and Scott!
    I loved listening in on your conversation – thanks for sharing this with us!
    My favourite bit was the idea of a “specting prism” (if I heard correctly?); a multidimensional scanner for seeing things in system: inspecting, aspecting, sidespecting, retrospecting and prospecting. I can already see so many contexts in which I’ll be making use of these words and concepts. Brilliant!

I can’t wait for part 2!

2020/05/26 at 4:01 pm
  • From Meg McGowan on Living Design Process in Practice - Some Examples

Oh incredible! Thank you so much for this. It’s a fascinating design process and I am excited to spend more time exploring it.
    I was interested in your ‘function over form’ comment about permaculture. I have always included ergonomics and aesthetics as important patterns. A space that is enticing to people will not be loved, and a space not loved will not inspire people to invest their time or energy into that space. We find things beautiful for a reason. That level of resonance with a place, a sense of ‘rightness’ about the spaces and the scale, and the ease with which we navigate pathways, stairs and slopes are all part of good design. I have never seen the living design process before and I am excited by its potential to integrate the human animals back into the environment.
    I recently had a conversation with a First Nations friend, explaining how horrified I was when I heard that white settlers designated them ‘animals’ so that they could steal their land. ‘Why are you horrified by that?’ she asked, ‘Better to be horrified by that fact that they didn’t think they were animals. Of course we are animals. We are part of the natural world. Everything that is wrong with humans can be traced back to forgetting that.’
    I had an email exchange with Clive Blazey from Diggers when he declared permaculture ugly in his magazine. ‘It’s the polystyrene boxes and old tyres. Ugliness is offensive to the soul.’ I invited him to come and see our place the next time he was in Sydney. He did, and we spent an enjoyable day together talking about beauty, design, and how Clive has naturally aligned himself with permaculture without ever learning about it. We can see this in the human family across the planet; those that through study or intuition independently develop a life completely aligned with the ethics and principles without ever knowing them.
    I continue to believe that permaculture provides us with a pattern for the best way to be human. It seems that the living design process could well be the best way to translate that pattern to place.
    Down the rabbit hole I go!

I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on how you would describe the relationship between permaculture and the living design process. Are they a two circled ven diagram? Is one an evolutionary step up from the other?

Sincerely grateful to you once again.

2020/05/29 at 9:39 am
  • From Joy H. on On the Relation between Designing and Implementing in Permaculture – Part 6

Loving the comments for this post! I’m an old permie with a PDC, and am training to be a SCRUM Master for an Agile team at my day job. One of the things that has always bothered me is people’s desire to get a PDC and then go create some static design that hasn’t gathered live data for multiple seasons, etc. The rule of thumb is to live on the land for at least one year in order to observe, but the desire to design usually takes precedent. I’ve also seen it go badly for folks who then want to apply their new PDC skills to paid projects for clients, without using an iterative approach.
    I, for one, would love to create a prerequisite course to PDCs one day that teaches people how to observe over time and gather data, and how to iterate and create flexible components in permaculture designs, to change with circumstances, take advantage of antifragility, etc.
    Thanks for the great thoughts and discussion!

2020/05/29 at 12:16 pm
  • From Byron on Bringing Education back to Life with Emma Morris (e45)

Another incredible perspective-shifting podcast Dan. Great introduction the work Emma is a part of! Really appreciate her Learning Approach. Couldn’t have come at a better time, as there’s a really cool opportunity for something like that unfolding here in the Whakatane area. Thank you!

2020/06/23 at 10:29 am
  • From Peta Hudson on Bringing Education back to Life with Emma Morris (e45)

Thank you Dan and Emma! Living here in Aotearoa this way is so connected to place on all its levels. Makes me wonder how this is happening in Oz the place of my upbringing. Another interview perhaps?
    Arohanui!

2020/06/24 at 5:39 pm
  • From Jazmyn on Regenerating Design Process and Manifesting Making Permaculture Stronger's Development (e44)

What do you mean by patreon?

2020/07/23 at 10:32 am
  • From Susan Cousineau on Allan Savory on Permaculture and Holistic Management (e48)

What a wonderful interview Dan – thanks for taking the time to conduct this really important piece of work to connect permaculture and holistic management (or, depending on the context, Permaculture and Holistic Management).

I think that Darren Doherty’s Regrarians platform is really the first to integrate these in a more formal way that helps to scale beyond implementation of practices. Certainly your own work and sharing the VEG Holistic Context was foundational to many permaculturists’ understanding of the intersection between the two.

I’ve noticed a lot of folks stretching from ‘permaculture’ to an understanding of holistic management (even if just a cursory introduction), and then towards Carol Sanford’s work as a business framework, so was really glad to see you’d asked about that; and the use of the term ‘regenerative’. I didn’t know the backstory of Bob Rodale’s take on it vs. the more recent white paper, and am grateful to Allan for speaking candidly to his experience with it.

I too grapple with how to take these ideas and practices beyond backyards and farms and into policy, governance and economic structures. It’s a thorny problem that hopefully we can continue to shove into the limelight with COVID-19 through working to continually draw a bigger, more holistic worldview beyond simply ‘controlling the virus’.

Great job; thanks for the work you’re doing here to strengthen permaculture as a practice and system of design.

2020/07/26 at 1:41 pm
  • From Jon Buttery on Permaculture design pathways - the latest adventures of Simon Marshall (e47)

Not only was that interesting and relevant as a great practical example of what it can really be like, it was also fun to listen to. Simon was an excellent interviewee and brave for putting himself out there – he also has a good sense of humour. He’s clearly a very good and reflective practitioner, who is worth a listen.

Would be really interesting to hear how Simon is going every three months or so as how an experienced permaculturist navigates the very un-environmental world we live in.

2020/07/27 at 4:48 pm
  • From Jon Buttery on Allan Savory on Permaculture and Holistic Management (e48)

Thanks Dan – great interview – that must have been a huge amount of work – but very worthwhile for us.

2020/07/27 at 4:49 pm
  • From Caio Dalla Zanna on Allan Savory on Permaculture and Holistic Management (e48)

Extraordinary interview!! Thank you for that!

2020/07/30 at 12:35 pm
  • From James Moffett on Allan Savory on Permaculture and Holistic Management (e48)

I enjoyed the interview, thank you Dan. This sentence of Allan’s drives to the core: “No, I have no magic or way of getting the world to think holistically, but I believe it is coming about and that it is accelerating at present this changing worldview. Right now the covid pandemic is assisting that shift in worldview. However that is not going to be enough”. I have often wondered what the missing link or “key” to this problem was and after many years discovered it, in the writings of biologist Jeremy Griffith. Jan Smuts, in his 1926 book Holism and Evolution, conceived ‘holism’ as ‘the ultimate organizing, regulative activity in the universe that accounts for all the structural groupings and syntheses in it, from the atom, and the physico-chemical structures, through the cell and organisms, through Mind in animals, to Personality in Man’ (p.341 of 380). The “key” lies in “Personality in Man”: our Human Condition (as biologists refer to our capacity for so-called good and evil) and its understanding from a holistic, inductive scientific biological perspective. This deals with the “stick rate”. If we force institutions to enforce change, without understanding our Selves, holistically, we will repeat history. www.jeremygriffith.com

2020/07/31 at 2:29 am
  • From Kerry on Allan Savory on Permaculture and Holistic Management (e48)

Isn’t it sad, you can hear the frustration in Allans voice regarding the stick factor. I feel there are so many of us that support the fantastic work he has done but for some reason we like to separate ourselves, give it our own twist and sell it on instead of uniting. We need something to unite us, I feel a yearning for this, but feel frustrated that without funds we as farmers trying to scrape by, are excluded from further education on implementation. I am slowly working my way through the online education through the Savory Institute as I can afford it while scavenging every free or cheap scrap I can find online.

2020/07/31 at 10:48 am
  • From Jason on Allan Savory on Permaculture and Holistic Management (e48)

This is a really sweet collection of Q & A’s. I enjoyed this a lot, but can’t get past Alan’s insistence that institutional policy is the way to change. That belief rests on making our existing world resilient, as opposed to embracing of change and therefore being regenerative. The premise of his thinking is that individual action is too small and too slow, and therefore too late, and so institutional change must be the only solution. There’s a fear mindset there that life is going to change too dramatically. I think that’s unavoidable, and for the better. There is a lot of regenerative potential in individual action (with the caveat that it happens in concerted community) to create the nodes of the next world to grow. I’m less interested in saving everything we have. That said, I don’t see harm in some folks holding that institutional change mindset, but I don’t love when individual and community action is made to seem less than.

2020/08/10 at 4:09 am
  • From Matthew Hayes on Allan Savory on Permaculture and Holistic Management (e48)

Thank you Dan, and thank you Allan for this very reflective interview. That Allan is so honest about coming to the end of his life and his call to action from the youth of today is something to reflect on – I am thinking about this. Shifting from reactive/reductive to proactive/holistic management is clearly genuinely a paradigm shift – and as such is going to demand inner work (as Jeremy Griffith alludes to above). I understand Jason’s concern about a reliance on institutional change, sidelining the central importance of individual and community action. Perhaps Allan’s call on us all to “demand” a shift to holistic management and decision making at institutional levels is a call for community action. What I find so powerful about the way Allan expresses himself is the steady clarity and systematic thoroghness of his holistic framework. He has history and evolution on his side in all his assertions. We can only be the change we expect. How must I be to hold the support of those I depend on to acheive what I know we must acheive?

2020/08/17 at 2:35 am
  • From Delvin on Allan Savory on Permaculture and Holistic Management (e48)

Exceptional podcast! Super inspirational expansion of design thinking. Certainly these transformative discussions are helping making permaculture stronger. Thanks so much for the practical and profound share. So grateful for the work of both Alan and Dan.

2020/08/20 at 12:25 pm
  • From Lizzy on Holistic Context for a Permaculture Design Business (Part 2 of 2)

Thanks to all for giving this opportunity to listen to an active process of setting the context for a design; and the active listening skills needed of the facilitator/designer to support the client.
    This was also a good revision of the course (advanced design) and your focus on the energy of the words we use and the meta pattern of what is created by intent and how that gives purpose and motivation to sustain the change we see possible.
    I appreciated the point you made about aligning or bringing purposes together in terms of being viable as a business and providing value to the world.

2020/09/16 at 5:53 pm
  • From Lizzy on Allan Savory on Permaculture and Holistic Management (e48)

A really good listen on both sides. I believe this was an honest reflection of how changing anyone’s behaviour and institutionalising a system is difficult and unpredictable in how it is applied at the end of the day. I pay respect to the Savoury institute for standing by decisions about maintaining quality of their system.

While complexity is not only as expressed by Allan – I appreciated his methodical approach and sanguine reflections. Policy is not just made by gov. or institutions – it’s made by our choices and votes as individuals.
    So when is the ‘policy’ activism and permaculture lobby groups starting? (I believe they already have in some Gov. policy arenas):)

2020/09/16 at 6:04 pm
  • From Jason Gerhardt on Rosemary Morrow Reflecting on Four Decades of International Permaculture Work (e52)

This is an amazing conversation, Dan. Thanks for bringing Rowe on. She remains a true inspiration through and through. Most of the subjects that came up are what has been on my mind for years and still consumes my mind. “We’ve lost the plot!” I enjoy her take on the value that permaculture still has too. The wisdom shared in the last 5 minutes of this recording are most important for all of us to be contemplating, designing, and building.

2020/09/23 at 12:16 am
  • From Meg McGowan on Rosemary Morrow Reflecting on Four Decades of International Permaculture Work (e52)

Thank you SO much Dan.
    How I love her.
    Rowe introduced me to permaculture in my 20’s but I didn’t get to meet her until my 50’s and she continues to be my guiding light.
    Inspired by her example we developed our teaching model so that those without income could access it.
    We have also now connected with two permaculture teachers in Uganda and Kenya that are local and teaching on the ground. I think providing them with direct support is consistent with the principle of putting energy to its highest use. It is so much more efficient for us to provide these wonderful people with support than to travel there and to attempt to teach them permaculture without the local knowledge or connections. This goes beyond financial support and includes sharing teaching ideas and resources. Both speak excellent English but also speak other languages and dialect. Another efficiency because no translators are needed.
    What really strikes me is how both of them have adapted the permaculture design model to their own circumstances, and that resonated with your comments about people designing themselves into places rather than out of them.
    It was Rowe that inspired all of this with her call to all of us to support people that aren’t ‘wealthy middle class’ and who most needed permaculture.
    Here’s one of them
    I appreciate that there are millions of people that do not have access to an English-speaking local with access to the internet, but there are many that do, and that for those of us can’t travel to these places or choose not to there is still much we can do.
    If each of us in the wealthy parts of the world connect with one or two fellow permaculture practitioners in these parts of the world, just imagine….

2020/09/23 at 3:50 pm
  • From Finn Weddle on Rosemary Morrow Reflecting on Four Decades of International Permaculture Work (e52)

Thanks Dan, an empassioned episode! I really felt like Rowe was speaking her truth, especially powerfully in the first section of the conversation; it was wonderful to hear such a gentle educator and force for good speak out with such raw frustration.

Listening to this, I strongly feel pulled in lots of directions out of a compulsion to do more good in the world, which I’m trying to stay sensitive to and consciously remind myself of where I am now and why I am where I am. From returning to my Arabic degree to working with homeless and refugee shelters, heaps of ideas come flooding to mind of ‘things’ to do…lots of checking in needed with my context, and investigating the difference between what is and what could have been…

Like Meg, I too have huge gratitude to Rowe. I first heard about her at the IPC in London, 2015. She gave the closing plenary at the conference and, to be honest, I was feeling a bit ‘meh’ after two days of keynote speakers who I felt were either a bit out of touch with reality or just telling a converted audience the same old, same old. Rowe stepped on stage and brought a huge energy and light into the room, and her one simple statement – ‘Anyone, anywhere, who knows anything about permaculture should be sharing it with the world!’ – compelled me to start planning my first education project the second I got home (it’s still running to this day, even though I stepped away some years ago). Her speech completely turned around my view of permaculture at a pretty critical juncture on my path!!

Thanks for a great listen, and I’m glad the mythical David Holmgren mini-series will be appearing in my headphones in the not too distant future at long last!!!

2020/09/25 at 8:58 am
  • From Fraser on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process - Part One (e53)

Hi Dan. Feels like I’m stalking you haha, let me just say I’m getting very, very good value from your direction this week.

I really liked this podcast as I do most of your recent ones and keen to hear the next instalment. One thing really stuck out for me. David mentioned his original interest gravitated “around food production and more broadly, agriculture, as humanity’s prime way for providing for its needs” and from there the seed of permaculture from the question “why does agriculture, if not look like a forest literally, function like a forest?”

This raises a lot of questions for me around farm scale or landscape scale permaculture that actually provides livelihoods from that kind of agriculture. The farmers I know of that are doing really good agro-ecological work don’t seem to regard themselves was permaculturists although some of them claim some inspiration. Mill Post Farm are giving it a red hot crack but will admit a loss in income and the benefit of no debt to pursue it. Ridgedale Farm seems to be really awesome and I don’t know Richard Perkins or his background but it seems like that farm has had investment way beyond what a family farm might afford and that leads me to questions around viability.

From a personal perspective we have an open farm and I like ideas and barbecues and beer and have been at the butt end of well meaning visiting permies telling how I should be doing things and offering up all the bamboo, duck and swale tropes.None of these people have had any farming experience except for one really grating dude who worked on a big NGO project which went to ruin as soon as the funding dried up. I think perhaps this is the biggest barrier to larger scale adoption.

I think I’ve mentioned before that I’m not permaculture trained in any way mostly I think as a result of the above experiences with permaculture ideologues although I would consider Nick and Kirsten, Robyn Rosendfeldt, Hannah and Anton and others as at least good acquaintances if not friends and I really enjoy and have deep respect for the thought that has gone into Dave Holmgren’s Principles work. I guess your work here is addressing it but I really am curious as to what the barrier is to landscape scale permaculture as an agriculture system which is the same question essentially that David and Bill asked back about when I was a wee bebe.

Thanks and Rock On. Fraser

2020/10/15 at 7:17 pm
    • From Shane Ward on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process - Part One (e53)

Hey Fraser, one good example to check out might be Mark Shepard’s New Forest Farm : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBRnPcZ8xUo&list=PLY2aX6GnpPbZo-tmPlMkRIMA0OJ0xFbUz&index=2
      Designed using permaculture principles, at scale and is not only viable but profitable.

2020/10/16 at 2:30 pm

Looks great Shane. I noticed the language is “cutting edge” “ambitious” “innovative” and I was kinda hoping by now we’d be at “normal” so maybe it’s just a time thing. Ecologies take a long time and it takes along time to turn a ship around so it might be that all the work of the last 40 years of permaculture is only just peeking it’s head out.

2020/10/16 at 9:47 pm
        • From Finn on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process - Part One (e53)

My partner, a therapist, works closely with many professionals, public and private sector, around neonatal care. There is a broad consensus there that it takes about two decades for new knowledge to progress from ‘accepted science’ to ‘mainstream practice’, and even then the uptake can be slow. Imagine the tens of thousands of women receiving subpar medical support every year as they wait for the obstetricians, midwives, nurses and everyone else involved to catch up with the science?! It’s quite unthinkable, really, but my partner comes face to face with the fallout of that on a near-daily basis.

So if that’s healthcare, just think how long it’ll take the farming fraternity (as we call them in aristocratic Britain) and all the ecologies in their stewardship to play catch up.

I agree, haste is so badly needed, I guess the least we can do is be the pioneers ourselves. A friend in Wales shares a similar passion to you, he just made a fantastic video about it – https://youtu.be/_Ngm1MZ0qL4.

2020/10/17 at 9:39 am

Hey Finn, thanks for that link. I reckon your mate in Wales and I would get along. I’m sure he likes a beer or a cider, should I ever get back to Wales I’d love to share one with him.

I found it very interesting to learn that in the podcast Hakai’s opinion that “the permaculture vision of broad acre integrated land uses of agriculture, horticulture, aquaculture, beekeeping, forestry, all of these things being integrated, couldn’t come about under our freehold land tenure system.” And I’ve heard David before mention some sort of neo-feudalist system although I’d need to look that up again to understand the application of that a little better.

It all points to more people in the landscape. Henbant Farm is a good example of just that. A farming couple or family can’t physically undertake all those enterprises and enjoy life. It’s also what I immediately noticed about New Forest Farm which looks awesome but on that scale just the hazels alone would be a full time job requiring mechanical infrastructure for harvesting and processing. Perhaps this is why permaculture is much stronger at designing smaller spaces than mixed farming systems.

2020/10/17 at 2:13 pm

All that is to say- If the originating motivation of Permaculture was to address the disconnection of agriculture to ecologies- has it done that?

2020/10/15 at 10:49 pm
      • From Dan Palmer on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process - Part One (e53)

A pleasure to be stalked by you Fraser :-). Thanks so much for your comments – this is such a ripper question I’d love to explore more and welcome other’s thought on. Part of me wonders if David speaks to this in the next part – can’t remember but I’ve heard him speaking to it somewhere. Makes me think I’ll have to hit him up anyway so if anyone else has a question for him hit me up and I’ll present him with a package deal :-). Personally I’m also excited to create a stand-alone post looking real closely at David’s language here around the seed / originating impulse of permaculture as I reckon there’s an opening there that in a sense was perhaps missed at the time (while much other great stuff was progressed) that feels so aligned with my passions around making permaculture stronger and living design process it’s not funny. Bring on Phase Two proper and thanks again for chiming in Fraser. You have been displaying a pattern of getting the ball rolling in a few of our shared contexts lately – playing some kind of beneficial catalyst role – love it :-).

2020/10/16 at 9:46 am

Great episode Dan!
    Wonderful to hear David’s thoughts on the early years and also piece together the narrative of how it all developed from his perspective – what the influences were etc.
    Two things really jumped out at me.
    1. That quote that you highlighted: “in most places on the planet, nature creates some sort of forest as an optimal ecosystem response to climate and geology and landscape to optimise production and diversity from a sort of an ecological point of view, why does agriculture, if not look like a forest literally, function like a forest? For example why is it not dominated by perennial plants? Why is it dominated by annual plants?” It’s just such a great summary of the problem of imprinting industrial land use patterns on to landscape and the value of biomimicry and ‘looking to nature’ for how we might sole challenges.. Nailed it!
    and then no 2. ““Haikai really introduced the framework of strategic planning, which had become a tool used by urban planners, but it came out of the military, as he explained it. Military planners had to act with limited knowledge and where they didn’t control all the factors and that idea of having frameworks of action, but you don’t really know how that is going to express itself in final design form. We started applying strategic design process to what we call tree crop agriculture; how do you not just have grazing animals around a landscape or annual crops, but these permanent, long lived structures of tree crop. Like me Haikai was a tree crop nut; he was obsessed with trees. So the application of that sort of design process was very much part of learning from working with him.”
    I really like that way of articulating the challenge of design (or any intent really), by recognising that you never control all the factors, you can’t control the outcome but it’s really important to still engage with that process of creation and sculpting outcomes. To be a part and not separate from the process you’re engaging with and to value the process of thinking things through. Planning is not worthless just because the end result won’t/can’t match the plan. Acknowledging that at the outset and being comfortable in the ambiguity is a great starting point.
    Looking forwards to part II!
    🙂

2020/10/16 at 2:26 pm
  • From Meg McGowan on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process - Part One (e53)

What a wonderful insight into the history and intellectual DNA of permaculture. Thank you Dan and, as always, I am left feeling deeply grateful to David for not only creating the permaculture model, but for embedding in it the philosophy that was so much a part of his early education; there is no dogma. Design evolves! We are not trying to find the best ever design model but the one that best serves us right now.
    David’s ideas about design and implementation also resonate strongly for me. I have previously observed that there is a world of difference in the teaching styles of those that have implemented their own permaculture system vs those that have learnt the model theoretically with a view to teaching it. I was unable to stick with two different academic courses because of this disconnect (and one of them was fine arts!). I believe that good design needs at least an equal “talk to do” ratio, and ideally a whole lot more “do” than “talk”. I am reminded of Rowe Morrow’s advice to would-be teachers that our students learn by doing and not by listening to us talk.
    What a great story about his Mum intuitively finding the right space for the house. Since hearing you talk about your design work and the living design process I have added a new layer to the “observe and learn” part of our design cycle. It asks students (or their clients when they are designing for others) to wander their site with a printed map and to record their emotional responses to different spaces. I am deeply grateful to you for this idea. The results have been surprising and have led to significant improvements in the quality of the final designs. The most recent PDC students found that the clients for their group design had an unlikely place that was their favourite spot to hang out in the garden. Imagine the client’s delight when they discover that this has been integrated into the final plan. This would not have happened otherwise.
    The reference to strategic planning coming from the military has led me back to my considerations of soft systems methodology. I wonder how much of it emerges from the strategic planning that became an integral part of my policing career. Certainly the parallels are worth thinking about. All design is, for me, like gardening. We have a general direction in which we wish to head but we must also remain adaptive, embracing the changes we cannot control and the inevitable surprises.

Thank you again for your consistently inspirational content. I am very much looking forward to your further discussion with David.

2020/10/16 at 3:19 pm
  • From Delvin Solkinson on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process - Part One (e53)

What an amazing dialogue. Its incredible to benefit from your work making permaculture stronger. Love the idea of permaculture as a “radical design school”

For a long time I have been curious history of permaculture in relation to psychedelics or plant medicines. I always wondered if Mollison had been influenced by his time with the Shipibo in Peru. In this light I was interested to hear this :
    “I suppose I’d see myself growing up as a super rationalist. Even as a child, I would wake up and not remember any of my dreams, probably because the dream world was just too inconsistent with reality. There were a few things that broke down that process. The primary one was the experience of LSD made it clear to me there were more things in the human mind that could possibly be comprehended through simple sort of reductionist methods.” – David Holmgren

An interesting contribution to permaculture history and design process. Brilliant to hear these two great men in discussion. Thanks Dan and David.

2020/10/17 at 4:44 am

I’m so glad I now know something about this Haikai fella! So far it’s just been a name that’s drifted through conversation without much follow up.

I really enjoyed hearing about David’s learning journey and it’s very curious that he published Pc1 at what seems to be the very start of his learning journey, and to be honest it sounds like it was basically just a first punt, and then while Mollison spread it wildly around the world Holmgren was studiously developing his own work, consciously relating it to a field of design and practicing in multiple contexts. I have to say it does kinda feel like Bill took the spark of pc, drew it out into rods of lightning and sprinkled it thunderously for decades, taking centre stage all the way, whilst David just kinda sat quietly with that spark and watched it, played with it, ‘observe and interacted’ it (to nounify one of his principles) like a young child sitting at the hearth…There is a sort of keen feeling that pc’s DNA has been somewhat subdued by all the noise and bluster that followed and, whilst that had some value, Phase Two of MPS looks to be well placed to explore and expound upon that seed of potential. It sound like a Classic myth story, ha ?

Lastly, I notice the glaring absence of any mention of David’s (or Bill’s) interaction with indigenous cultures throughout this formative process. As there are conflicting narratives about this – how directly the pair drew upon aboriginal ideas and practices, how respectfully this was done if so, if credit was ever given where due etcetera…having David’s definitive word on his perception of that narrative would be very valuable (and a recent thread on the Permaculture UK Official FB group attests to the varying perceptions of this). David’s explanation so far seems pretty rational, like he picked it all up at school plus LSD plus a couple white mentors. I’d love to know if there’s another side to that story.

Thanks again, Dan.

2020/10/17 at 10:06 am
  • From Bill on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process - Part One (e53)

Speechless! Humbled and grateful to be here now. To read this, hear this and experience the space and resonance such wonderful thoughtful beings possess and share. Very reverent bow being offered in recognition of the hopefulness manifest in this work and insights. Thank you.

2020/10/17 at 9:30 pm

Dan, curious if you asked Rowe what she thinks the “plot” is for permaculture? Her line of “we’ve lost the plot” has been a recurring thought. Just curious what Rowe’s version of the “originating impulse” is.

2020/10/22 at 1:00 am
  • From Hugo on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process - Part One (e53)

This is gold, thanks for this material cant wait for the second part. Lots of great bits and pieces of information. For me its amazing to get so many juicy details about his journey in becoming the wise man he is now.

What I take of most value for designing: the part when he talks about where to find inspiration to create systems, not looking into a pristine natural landscape (super common to hear and say it in PDCs) but rather look for places where there was a human intervention and was then left abandoned observing that intersection. Then he poetically compares landscapes from his region.

David Holmgren is an artist, as permaculturist that is something I want to connect to, passion and experience seem basic ingredients for this, enjoying this journey and thankful to have MPS as I walk it!

2020/10/27 at 3:05 am

Thanks so much Hugo and all for so many great comments and reflections from everyone! I love that different moments of the conversation stood out for different people. Incidentally, we recently got footage in one of David’s very favourite abandoned arboretums, so you can look forward to some sort of video clip about this at some point (and can support the project at www.ReadingLandscape.org). Editing up part two today! Also so you all know I’m planning to take any questions that come out of comments on parts 1 and 2 back to David to hear his reflections and plan to share those here too.

2020/10/28 at 11:34 am
  • From Julia Norman on Rosemary Morrow Reflecting on Four Decades of International Permaculture Work (e52)

I am beginning my journey into permaculture, and this conversation sparked a wave of curiosity within me that resulted in pages of incoherent written notes as I tried to process all the strands of information, impactful quotes, and perspectives Rowe offered. As a young person just getting into this work, I am overwhelmed by the potential of permaculture to fuel meaningful, community-based social, cultural, and ecological change. I really appreciated hearing her criticisms of how permaculture has somewhat situated itself within a limited-sphere. I was very conscious in my academic settings that the students interested in permaculture, along with the professors that referenced permaculture in global sustainable development or environmental sustainability courses, all seemed to be middle-class and white ‘granola’ types. While I myself identify with this group…. I really responded to her dedication to bring permaculture where it desperately NEEDS to be. I am at a crossroads of trying to pinpoint where I would like to focus my attention as I forge my own career and try to figure out the big questions: what do I truly value and what do I want to contribute to the world around me. It is so exciting and impactful (many aha moments) to hear Rowe discuss the intersection of human rights issues, community-oriented and empowered development, and regenerative ecological practices in her own work. Rowe’s work is motivating, encouraging, and inspiring. This episode is something I can reference when (if ever) I need to reassurance that this is the field I want to grow from and devote my life and studies to. I just finished undergrad- having based my concentration on the intersection between rethinking global development and the potential of regenerative agriculture- and this episode resonated with me in ways I am currently unable to articulate. I know I am hopping on the Rowe-fan bandwagon, but I am so lucky to have come across her. With permaculture, I am seemingly at a precipice of information that will alter my professional, philosophical, and spiritual life in its entirety. I am grateful to be beginning my understanding of what permaculture is and the potential it has from people like you and Rowe. What an incredible hero to champion! Thank you for the meaningful questions you asked and for sharing this powerful conversation on your podcast!

2020/11/13 at 2:33 am
    • From Dan Palmer on Rosemary Morrow Reflecting on Four Decades of International Permaculture Work (e52)

So glad you got so much out of it Julia. You’ll be happy to hear I’m recording a follow-up interview with Rowe this coming week – if anyone has any questions they’d like to ask me on top of Jason’s one about if PC has “lost the plot” then what is the plot so far as Rowe is concerned? Best of luck in exploring the big questions and I was happy to read your mention of the overwhelming potential of permaculture (which this project is all about exploring and hopefully helping develop).

2020/11/13 at 6:19 pm
  • From Peta Hudson on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process - Part One (e53)

Hi Dan if you haven’t already thought of this I’d highly recommend these interviews being archived somewhere. They have huge historical importance. Here in Aotearoa both the Hocken in Dunedin and one I can’t remember the name of perhaps in Wellington would have been very welcoming of it. I’m sure there would be one or more in Oz?

2020/11/21 at 5:21 pm
  • From Pippa on Introducing Phase Two of Making Permaculture Stronger: Collaboratively Developing Permaculture's Potential (E28)

Coming late to the coppice / unfolding potential discussion (you know what with baby making and rearing, pandemics etc) and I think it is a very exciting development.

2020/11/27 at 12:48 pm
  • From Jon on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process – Part Two (e54)

This is a remarkable interview – I am surprised there aren’t more comments. I was fascinated by many things, including about design being a literacy we use in our lives rather than something a 10 day PDC teaches us fully.

2020/12/06 at 3:14 pm
    • From Dan Palmer on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process – Part Two (e54)

Thanks Jon and yes I agree – I got SO much out of this one. I actually did have the thought that maybe I’m doing something wrong given the lack of engagement on what I would have thought was one of the most on-topic and exciting conversations yet had on the show! Lessens the motivation to pursue a follow up conversation with David, though that said there were some great comments on Part One so all is not lost :-). Up next is Carol Sanford on the Seven First Principles of Regeneration – hopefully that one inspires a comment or two, otherwise it might be time for me to start asking some questions about how to make this podcast and blog more useful and relevant for folk :-). Actually that said if anyone is actually reading this stuff and not finding it particularly comment worthy, please leave a comment telling me what would be worthwhile, valuable, and perhaps even exciting future content for your journey with permaculture as a design approach.

2020/12/06 at 3:21 pm
  • From Adrian Hodgson on David Holmgren’s Journey with Permaculture Design Process – Part Two (e54)

I really love these two interviews and am getting so much out of them. I’ve referred to them many times lately within my community of practice. Thanks you so much Dan, David and team for the extra special care you have all taken with producing and sharing these.

I can understand some frustrations Dan with the limited comments and conversation in this forum so far on this, HOWEVER I would take this an indication of great reverence and respect, even if the radio-silence may seem less generative (thus far).

It reminds me of a similar pattern of behaviour I’ve experienced many times.. ie: Sometimes a very special fruit or vegetable is brought in from our garden (the first one, the nicest one, the only one, the biggest one, etc.) and so it ends up sitting coveted in the refrigerator awaiting a very special preparation and occasion to eat and enjoy it together.. THEN of course it is found weeks later in a very compromised state.. why? Because we care so much apparently.. but quite a disfunctional (and wasteful) way to show it! Hope my analogy isn’t way off here.. just something that seemed to relate in my mind 😉

About the interview:
    I have been so impressed with what David shared about how permaculture design doesn’t really lend itself well to replication.. therefore IF it could be spread by replication anywhere it’d be in the cookie cutter suburbs! I will always remember this as one of the great examples of ‘the problem is the solution’ and this story will forever serve as a reminder to me to expand my sense of what is possible when we work with the true character and potential of each unique situation.

Looking forward to hearing much more about the idea of ‘strategic design’ in future conversations as well as expanding on the story of David’s mentorship with Hakai Tane.. AND much more about Hakai’s life and work.

Something that was said by Alan Savory in your interview with him has changed the way I am hearing things now about this. It is the idea of seeing ‘Agriculture’ as a whole, not in the limited sense of ‘feild-culture’ with the mere provision of food, but the whole being (roads, clothes, cities, people, laws, etc.). This is having a profound effect on how I am interpreting what David is sharing.

Also, I felt that David’s sharing about the re/democratization of design as an important theme in his studies and work is very relevant for the further explorations of the core essence of Permaculture. This idea is not automatically understood in the reading of common permaculture “definitions”.

I’d also super curious to learn more about techniques for reading the “regoliths” (or is this limited to specialist and these special core tests?). But what can ordinary people do to ‘see’ and interpret these in a landscape with their bodies and feelings, and what are the strategies for applying these observations and interpretations into design process expressions?

So much here is still sinking in and I am looking forward to an occasion to listen through once again.

2020/12/17 at 10:07 am
  • From linda mckittrick on The Seven First Principles of Regeneration with Carol Sanford (E55)

Dan – eternal gratitude for this conversation with Carol. I listened deeply; it is the perfect nodal intervention to shake up/shake loose fragmented ways of seeing. I find fresher ways of being in the world emerging. Best Holiday gift ever.

2020/12/25 at 8:43 am
  • From Meg McGowan on The Seven First Principles of Regeneration with Carol Sanford (E55)

Thanks so much for this one, Dan. How I love the 15 second rewind button and what great use I made of it during this interview.

I do like your caution at the beginning; Carol is not someone that you have on in the background. Deep attention is required.

Some favourite quotes (and there were many):

Wholes: See a value adding process in which wholes are working
    Essence: A different way of seeing the world. It’s not seeing its parts and putting them together. It’s seeing it working and evaluating process and what’s being brought at the level of core.
    Potential: Once we can see a whole we can come to be able to see its essence. Now we can touch its potential.
    Development: Development is the whole of my being becoming more able, less arrogant, less reactive, more able to see impossible things.
    Nestedness: You only get to the quantum view when you see wholes nested
    Nodal intervention: Most people think of growth and scaleability…some people started to figure out that they can leverage something….but what I want people to get to in essence thinking is nodal….you put a pin in something and poof, the whole system changes.

I don’t have one for fields. I appreciate that you were short on time at this point and I have listened to it a few times and still feel like I’m missing the essence of it.

The quotes must, of course, be considered within the context of the whole of the interview. To do otherwise would be reductionist. The interview must be considered within its nested context. Mostly I am left once again grateful for Carol’s challenging and enlightened thinking.

With regard to ‘wholes’ I feel it may be worth revisiting the concept of ‘holons’, as they are both wholes and parts simultaneously. I have found this word useful in teaching because it reminds students that any division of anything from its context is artificial as nothing can exist outside its context and we only divide the world into separate ‘things’ for our own purposes. Truly no separate ‘thing’ exists. So, for example, we may talk about a leaf, but this is a holon, an artificial boundary we have created in order to consider the leaf, and to do so without recognising the relationship to the tree, and the tree’s relationship with the planet would be to fail to truly understand the leaf.

While I appreciate Carol’s thoughts on not reducing the examination of a site to a list I do feel that for many people this may be the path that leads to a final appreciation of the whole, and Carol herself describes her own development as somewhat following this path. Perhaps for many of us, we build our understanding of wholeness over time having first observed that understanding parts was useful but inadequate.

My own essence included an experience as a teenager when I realised that “I” was a holon, and that in fact I do not have any clear edges. Where do “I” begin and end? The air I am breathing contains elements that have cycled around and around for all of time and the thing I think of as my body is composed of the same elements. When I no longer live those elements get returned to the system, like a cup of water returning to the ocean. While I live those same elements pass through me and from me. There is no cell left that was part of the “I” that had these thoughts as a teenager and yet the illusion of some kind of continuity persists. When Carol talks about seeing wholes my response is that there is only one whole. Everything else is a holon; a thought exercise that allows us to have a conversation about a “thing” but which is ultimately as constraining to our thinking as it is useful.

When I talk about all design progressing from the macro to the micro I start from a planetary perspective; what does the earth need? Carol’s “nesting” language has given me a useful way to describe this approach.

Best wishes to you and your family for a wonderous 2021 and thank you for all the leveraging podcasts.

2020/12/26 at 11:10 am
    • From Dan Palmer on The Seven First Principles of Regeneration with Carol Sanford (E55)

Thanks Meg and so glad you got value from the chat (i.e., that the podcast as a whole was a value-adding process for you in this instance – woo!). I resonate with your description of holons though I remember asking Carol about them in our first chat and she wasn’t into them in favour of stick with nested wholes. Be great to have a transcription of what she said, exactly, if anyone is keen. One observation I have made is that it is very possible to grasp the concept of holons then to use it in a purely mechanical way, such as Toby Hemenway did in the Permaculture City. In my work on Living Design Process, I’m developing ways of avoiding that trap, where things get pretty damned interesting. One aspect of holonic or holarchic thinking worth reflecting on is to what extent is the whole in part-whole being thought of as a physical container, Russian-doll style, or as a super-part, in the sense of a collection of parts. I’d love more thinking partners in nutting this stuff out if anyone is keen, though we’re making solid progress in the MPS Community of Practice too.

Always a pleasure having you in the mix Meg!

2020/12/29 at 8:28 am
    • From Meg again on The Seven First Principles of Regeneration with Carol Sanford (E55)

Clearly I’ve been thinking about this podcast all day. 😀
      I wonder if Carol is familiar with Lynne Kelly’s work on memory and the techniques used by non-literate cultures to remember vast amounts of knowledge. One of her observations, having taught herself these techniques, is that learning this way provides her with a different kind of knowledge, where the wholeness is apparent (my words but I’m avoiding ‘interconnectedness of things’). In the same way that language limits our thinking, could the written word be causative in the compartmentalisation of knowledge? Do traditional methods of learning naturally support an appreciation of all things as being one thing?

Lynne also makes the observation that children’s stories in indigenous cultures are the scaffold that provides the pattern for all subsequent levels of learning. For me this is analogous to the way I teach permaculture (and I mean no disrespect to students here) where the introductory level is what seems to be a simple pattern but the appreciation of the whole grows with various levels of learning.
      All interesting ponderings.

2020/12/26 at 3:46 pm
  • From Albert S on Rosemary Morrow Reflecting on Four Decades of International Permaculture Work (e52)

Dear Dan Palmer, I must say I am very grateful about the amount of work and information you have compiled over this whole enterprise. I just found about permaculture last summer and began a deep dive. Right now I don’t have the vocabulary to articulate my feelings or insights about these matters but I will do my best.

I found deeply enriching David Holmgren notion of reading landscape. As Carol Sanford hinted, it is an ability one develops and unique to an individual. Yet it was inspiring and even began to explore my own city to see what is going on. I listened to both chapters of his interview, but I couldn’t make up my mind, I will try to take some notes, if only to find points of resonance and engage in a discussion later next year. The Regenerative Life approach has also been deeply enriching on engaging my life decisions. Mark Savory interview is also excellent. And I find your departure from metaphors intriguing.

I studied oceanography in college, I like the geological side of it, particularely interested on this notion of geodiversity, I was studying fossils before deciding I didn’t like academia enough to stick with it. On the topic of marine permaculture, I found out most of these projects are big scale kelp farms, I wondered what Rose thought of these “big scale” approaches.

I am based in Baja California, sea otter populations were decimated two centuries ago, but rumour says that they are slowly returning, their populations are recovering. I wonder about this idea one friend of mine propossed to me, the idea of reef-culture, you see everytime a wave hits and washes over the sand, a small ecosystem is born, as the practice of flooding a farm and letting nature do her magic. It is a multiculture approach rather than a monoculture. Which the kelp forests farms seem to me looked from a distance, it might ignore the complex nature, the web of relationships below the sea surface. Perhaps a nodal intervention might help.

There is also the Gulf of California, which is controversial, as it involves the interests of a lot of parties (both from the US and Mexico), it is a complex issue, and people seem to blame one side or the other. Even National Geographic is involved. There is overfishing, there is a rise in private properties over the coast, minery residues, the arresting of the flux of fresh water and sediment coming north from the Colorado River. The situation is dire, but I will try to find some potential between these tensions.

It has been a complex year, but thank you for making it better, hope you stay well along with your family. Happy new year!

2021/01/01 at 2:13 pm
  • From Adrian Hodgson on The Seven First Principles of Regeneration with Carol Sanford (E55)

Thanks for offering the diagram interpretation Dan. It has stirred up some exciting thoughts.. and I still keep seeing it as the torus pattern like the “field process model” is depicted (and your drawing is basically this too if visualized in volumetric shape and motion). The path (generally) following a swirl down through the inner hole; through and around the outer field and back through the inner vortex again, ad infinitum.

I tried to illustrate this too a few months back (as you’ve seen) and realized after comparing these diagrams now that the ‘seeming’ overlap in mine was simply in a non-deliberate place (so as to not show favor).. though ultimately just a difference of perspective (the explicate order (?). But I do really love the idea of regenerative ‘development’ as the ecotone of inner and outer.

One thing I feel wanting to do is drop the numbers from the concept and title as they are not meant strongly as “steps”, but more as nested levels and so the number sequence feels a bit distracting.. perhaps some kind of realm of entry might be indicated by an arrow.. if even necessary. Though I understand why the order is also important (haha, it’s always both-and).. However with the torus concept described above (and of course originally by Jascha Rohr & Sonja Hörster) we can visualize how we are always there –in process, in an evolving field.

In any case.. good to have several models kicking around to get multi-faceted view of the various ‘inclusions’. A technique I find useful.

Something that also came up in this first listen is the idea of ‘nestedness’ where I couldn’t help but recall Christopher Alexander’s excoriating conclusion to his “A city is not a tree” essay where he warns of defining (or worse designing) relationships as strict hierarchies with razor edges. So the lesson that I take from that is: instead of feeling confounded by looking for clarity about the boundaries of wholes and nestedness (like trying to find where the fog begins or ends with a magnifying glass!).. I am just going to let that go because it is always meant to be fuzzy (and is always a matter of mindset, perspective/aspect); then be able to redirect more attention to the essence of the whole (though there is also good value in trying just a little to look for the edges! So you can know when to drive slowly and put the fog lights on). All that said.. I do find it tricky to visualize this nestedness as a 3D semi-lattice (as per C. Alexander’s essay).. and not as an overly chaotic mesh structure.. perhaps a growing, dividing cell in an eggshell in a birds nest in the mesh of tree branches in the life-field of a tree, etc.. (ie: many patterns nested and overlapping).

One last thing.. I’d love to hear more about the roots of these principles from a direct indigenous personal telling and interpretation of them as Carol has mentioned of (a take on Carol’s evolving explorations of these ideas as sincere contribution to the renaissant consciousness; as well as relating these ideas to traditional cultural understanding and knowledge).

2021/01/08 at 3:06 pm