Continuing on from the last, this post continues sharing the early stages of the (ongoing) Mayberry Woodend project.
In the last post I showed that having immersed in people and place, the focus was not on developing even a concept-level design for the whole site, but simply clarifying and crash testing the right first move.
Drawing on Yeoman’s Scale of Permanence, and with parallels to the agile/lean concepts of TSTTCPW (“the simplest thing that could possibly work”) and MVP (“minimal viable product”) the process honed in on an update to the existing driveway and dam configuration.
There are a couple of points I want to emphasise here.
The first is that at this stage there was no whole-site concept design.
Apart from passing allusions here and there, we hadn’t systematically considered tree systems, animal systems, irrigation systems, vegetable gardens, etc at even the concept design level, let alone in any kind of detail. It was almost like we forgot that stuff existed. For now. In order to focus 100% on the next best task at hand. All we had was clarity to the point of feeling all-but-certain that we had honed in on the best first move.1
The second is that we didn’t get to this point lightly or flippantly. As you saw in the last post, this clarity was hard-earned!
It was now time for a bit of…
At this stage implementation commenced, bulldozer style:
During these earthworks implementation and design were co-evolving in tight partnership. With input and feedback from the clients and project co-manager David Griffiths, the earthworker (Graeme Jennings) was making thousands of decisions whereby the detailed design and layout of the works arose only from within the process of completing them.
As you have seen there was only the vaguest picture of what it was all going to look like before hand. Afterwards we updated the picture to reflect how it all turned out. So the on-ground development preceded and dictated the after-the-fact drawing up of the details.
Due to the wet weather the earthworks stopped at this stage and were completed about eight months later when soil moisture levels were again conducive.
To find out what happened next, well, you’ll just have to wait for the next post, won’t you!